Do Ask! Do Tell!
Love exiles around the world were active for more than a decade to make the change in US law to allow us to immigrate with our partners. It was a challenging time – for some heartbreaking as they struggled to keep their families intact.
What did we do?
– we lobbied Congress
– wrote letters to the editor in local papers
– blogged about our lives in exile
– shared our stories in the media in the USA and internationally
– spoke at Congressional town hall meetings
– participated in books and articles that were shared with congressional representatives
– engaged our political parties and Democrats Abroad in advocating for the change in the law
– supported each other locally and across borders
– set up local love exiles groups to share information and socialize
– learned how to integrate and live in a foreign country
– connected with change makers, such as Edith Windsor, who supported our cause.